Sunday, October 23, 2016

What has refined you?

Zacchaeus, Zacchaeus, Zacchaeus he has always intrigued me and delights every child who ever hears his story or sings his song.  What made him so curious about this traveling preacher named Jesus?  What drove him to tuck in his tunic and climb that tree?  Curiosity? A desire to follow the crowd?  I don’t think that was enough to drive this affluent, turncoat, untouchable to climb a tree just to catch a glimpse of someone he had only heard mutterings about.  There was some great need in his life that drove him to scamper up that tree. Something only God could refine within him that caused him to desperately hope that seeing Jesus would make a difference in his life.  Had the thought previously occurred to him he could make things right by giving away half of his possesions to the poor?   Maybe he longed for a new and different life, but he lacked the power to change?  I believe Jesus himself,  our great and perfect refiner, drove him up the tree that day He passed through Jericho.
Jesus then says with absolute urgency, “Zacchaeus, come down immediately. I must stay at your house today.”   Jesus looked straight at this man in a tree, tunic tucked between his legs, straight at this man who was looking for Him and saw straight to his heart. He could see the sin, but he looked beyond the fithy rags and saw the need. He saw the great potential. This wee little man, although a cheat, could become a great man in the Kingdom of God. Despite the greed that was so apparent in Zacchaeus’ life, Jesus could see his potential for righteousness and the readiness for salvation.  He saw what his Father had worked so hard to refine in this man! 

What is He refining in you?  

He knows your heart. He knows what will set you free. He knows what will move you toward wholeness. He knows what will remove the impurities and bring you out of those tough, rough, hot spots.  He knows how you can become effective for him. Will you allow Him to refine you?  

I absolutely have to share this.  I don't remember where I saw it or how long ago.  It literally took me my entire Saturday afternoon to find it but I was bound and determined to put my hands on it because I felt like it speaks to this Gospel lesson.  You may have read it too, but it is worth a second look.  I hope it speaks to you as it did to me!  


1 comment: