Monday, May 1, 2017

Little lamb who made thee?

The Lamb by William Blake

Little Lamb who made thee
Dost thou know who made thee
Gave thee life and bid thee feed,
By the stream and o'er the mead;
Gave thee clothing of delight,
Softest clothing woolly bright;
Gave thee such a tender voice,
Making all the vales rejoice;
Little Lamb who made thee
Dost thou know who made thee?
Little Lamb I'll tell thee,
Little Lamb I'll tell thee;
He is called by thy name,
For he calls himself a Lamb:
He is meek and he is mild,
He became a little child:
I a child & thou a lamb,
We are called by his name.
Little Lamb God bless thee.
Little Lamb God bless thee.

I had to diagram this poem for Mrs. Hannah in 7th grade.  For someone with Dyslexia and probably other learning disabilities; can you imagine?  My first question, I am sure, was why do I have to do this?  Words like meter and rhyme scheme still give me hives.  Well, her answer, "because, if you take it apart you can better understand the poem itself, you can better understand who the author was and what he was feeling; who the "person" this author actually was". 
As you read John 10:1-10 this week, take some time to do some old fashioned 7th grade diagramming.  Take some time to look at the meter, the rhyme scheme, look inside of the lines for words and meanings you may not have thought about.  You will more fully understand The Author. 

No comments:

Post a Comment