Monday, August 8, 2016

What's in your backpack?

Have you seen the Staple's back to school commercial?  I guess it is all in our perspective or where we are in this race that is set before us as to your reaction. 
15 years ago it was "the most wonderful time of the year".  My children were bored; I could not take another rainy craft day.
10 years ago, when I was going back to school along side of my children, my perspective change once again.  There was NOTHING wonderful about a 5:50am alarm clock every single morning!
And now today, I write this blog with tissues in hand as we say goodbye to Brooks who is leaving for her Sophomore year at Clemson....not so wonderful. However, on the flip side John Allen starts his final semester with graduation in sight in December...yes, that will be the most wonderful time of the year!

There is a season in this race for all of us; seasons full of challenges, anticipation, expectation, heart breaks and disappointments, but also joyous times. Do not be discouraged as Hebrews tells us this week "we are surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses, let us therefore throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." (Hb. 12-1-2)
So, as we all set out into this new school year where will we find strength and perseverance? This year will involve hard work for all of us, but we first and foremost need to remember we are not alone and we are not the first to face the struggles ahead. So what is our inspiration?  Keeping our eyes on the prize....Jesus!  What a sweet victory.


So, what is in your backpack?  Here is a suggestion for a "goody bag" for any age!
an eraser: We will all make mistakes. Whoever conceals his transgressions will not prosper, but he who confesses and forsakes them will obtain mercy. (Proverbs 28:13)
a ruler: in all your ways submit to him , and He will make your paths straight ( Proverbs 3:6)
an energy bar: I can do all things through Him who gives me strength. (Philippians 4:13)
a stuffed animal: So do not fear, I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you; I will uphold you with my righteous hand. (Is. 41:10)
a fruit: So as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God. (Colossians 1:10)
band-aids: He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds (Ps.147:3)
a flashlight:  Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path. (Ps. 119:105)
a Bible: The Lord's word is flawless; he shields all who take refuge in him.( Ps. 18:30)

Prayers for a peaceful start of this new season!


No comments:

Post a Comment