Monday, August 22, 2016

Which seat will you chose?

Have you asked your child who they sit by in school; who they sit with at lunch; on the bus; in gym class?  I am sure you have or they have told you.  Have you asked why?  I need to share a quick story about choosing a seat.  I received a frantic text from mine last week.  She had walked into a Biochem Lab (whatever that is) and there were only 2 seats left.  One was with a very cute boy she knew from high school, but not necessarily the best lab partner or the only other seat was with a tutor she had last semester.  So here is how the conversation went:
"Help!  I can either sit with this cute KA or with my SI (that's what they call a tutor) from chemistry last year who I loooooved and he helped me understand so much but his English isn't so great, but he's so much smarter than me so if I went and sat next to him I'd probably hold him back and he'd be like what is this girl thinking.  Or I can sit by myself in this impossible class where the text book doesn't even make sense!"
Yes, I know, I should not have answered the text and let her figure it out, but I had just read the Gospel lesson for this week, which I like to call "Choosing the Ueker Seats" (Luke 14:7-14) and could not let it go.... stay tuned...

In this week's Gospel, Jesus is teaching about seeking honor.  He encourages us to look for a place where we can serve.  To be all in for the All in All.  Our service on this Earth is so much more important than our status.  So, be humble.  But, what is the definition of humble?  Webster says this: not proud or haughty, not arrogant or assertive; actions reflecting, expressing or offered in a sense of submission.  Humble is not putting oneself down, but comparing ourselves to Christ.  Realizing our sinfulness, our limitations, but also realizing our spiritual gifts and using them to further God's glory.   Jesus is also teaching about serving others despite appearances and the blessings in this service.  May I suggest a fabulous bedtime story?  Lord of the Cranes written by Kirsten Chen.  This is an old Chinese folk tale about a very wise old man Tian who comes down from his mountain top to see how generous and kind people can be.  He dresses as a beggar and meets an innkeeper who welcomes him every day without any kind of expectations for payment.  Tian rewards the innkeeper in the most unexpected way with only one simple request.  Please, please, please take the time to share this story with your child or family member. I hope you can find the book but if not this is a summary: http://www.learningtogive.org/resources/lord-cranes

She chose to sit with the SI, if you were wondering.  Through some "motherly wisdom" and with a whole lot of help from the Gospel I reminded her that what we may see as the not so desirable seat or a seat we do not think we deserve on this Earth; the Ueker seat, may be just where God is calling us.  The seat where He wants us  to serve or to be served; to humble ourselves or to be humbled. Jesus came as the perfect example of service without any pretenses or expectations of repayment.  He was the ultimate payment and just as in the story of Tian, what a beautiful reward we have received.

No comments:

Post a Comment