Monday, June 20, 2016

Leash or no leash?

I always watch in awe as John or Brooks takes our Lucy dog for a walk or run without a leash.  She obeys them without the slightest hesitation. Me on the other hand, it is not the same.  The first rustle of a leaf, the slightest strange scent and she is off to the races.....and oh my goodness, please don't let a squirrel cross our path or else it's all over; I would not find that dog for days! Who knows where we would find her!


As I read ( and re-read) the Galatians passage (Galatians 5:1,13-25) and Luke's Gospel reading (Luke 9:51-62)  for this week I saw so much of how  the Lord wants our total dedication. That dedication that gives us freedom from all of the world's distractions; those things that give us a false sense of security, free from those excuses, free from our sinful nature.  To be lead by the Holy Spirit requires listening, a readiness to act and a serenity to know the difference between what the world is calling us to do and what God is calling us to do.  
If it were left up to me, I would be Lucy dog all day long.  She isn't the only one who needs a leash.  The world's temptations call us to "get more, want better, promote self... do this, do that... go, go, GO, do, do, DO".  If left on my own, I would be just like Lucy chasing the elusive leaf, scent or heaven forbid crazy squirrel.  At the end of the day I would look just like her. Panting, tongue hanging out, in need of a nap.  Who knows where I would be!  So here is my prayer for all of us:

Heavenly Father, please keep your precious yoke upon us all the time. How easily and quickly the world and "squirrels" can distract us.  When life is quiet, it's easy to hear your will for us , but 
when life's distarctions are brightest please give us a good "yank" to remember the Holy Spirit is infinitely stronger.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment