Monday, June 6, 2016

Who is this who even forgives sins?

Why do young siblings argue? I have no idea!  Is it jealousy, is it competition, is it an age gap?  There are so many theories to this age old question.  Mary Ellen and Cantey and I will admit whole heartedly that we fought.  I remember Sunday school shoes being thrown down the hallway, a hammer, and arguments of who was looking out of the wrong window on car rides.  Sound familiar?  There is one story I will never forget told by my sainted Grandmother.  We were playing cards one day and clearly I was cheating and so she asked, "Bibs, are you cheating?" My response was, "only when I have to."  Talk about competition! Talk about a sinful nature! My cheating erupted into quite a brawl I'm sure.  But, where did the forgiveness come in and when?  
We learn to say I'm sorry at a very early age, but when do we learn the true meaning of forgiveness and to truly forgive?   I think it is a life long process.  In Luke's Gospel reading for this week, the Lord forgave a woman who was clearly a sinner, probably with a capital S .What was the gap between Simon and this sinful woman?  She recognized the Lord's love for her.  Those who recognize that God has forgiven them much will love the Lord much. We show this love in walking the walk and talking the talk; not just sharing the Gospel, but living the Gospel.  The nature of true love is that it turns from self gain to the person who is loved.  Need to hear that again?  The nature of true love is that it turns from self gain to the person who is loved.  How much does Jesus love you?  How much has Jesus forgiven you? You will show this in your love for Him and in your love and forgiveness of others.  The path to increasing that love starts with humbling yourself, recognizing your sinfulness, then thanking Him for His forgiveness and provision.
So, the real question, how to keep siblings from arguing?  Not a chance!  But you can teach them forgiveness in modeling forgiveness yourself. Recognize that the Lord has forgiven us much and love others with that same "much"!

No comments:

Post a Comment