Monday, June 27, 2016

Who will help me plant this corn?

I have always loved the story of The Little Red Hen.  I don't know how many of those Little Golden books we had as children, but I can still see them in the cabinet under the television.  Today I would like to see myself as the Little Red Hen; sowing wheat and reaping a beautiful cake, but there are days when I am most definitely the lazy dog in the hammock reaping not much of anything.
 

 In Luke's Gospel this week we see 72 disciples being sent by Jesus to prepare many towns along their journey for a later visit from Jesus himself.  They were to begin sowing the seeds of Jesus' love. Jesus did not send them alone, he sent them in pairs and equipped them with His power and a clear vision of His intentions for them. Their obedience began with humility.  He also asked their prayers for more workers to join them in the harvest field.
So, back to the Little Red Hen, what if she had prayed for her farm friends to join her in the work?  Well, we would not have ended up with the intended lesson that is you reap what you sow, but she may have added more workers to her cause.  The Lord wants us to keep on sowing in His fields, even today; trusting Him for the outcome, but how do we do this?  Pray the Lord to crucify our desire to sow earthly things so that we may reap His blessings and love. Pray for others to join you.  Live your life knowing you may be the only Bible some people "read".
I love the words of St. Teresa of Avila (even though some question if they were her words, I like to think they were).

christ has no body but yours no hands no feet on earth but yours

I invite you to come join us this Wednesday at noon in the Workshop for Brown Bag Bible study to discover what happens next to the Little Red Hen and her friends as the next lesson is revealed in the story of the Little Red Hen Makes a Pizza!

No comments:

Post a Comment